Slideshow

the meidal fam ~ BEING THE DIFFERENCE the meidal fam ~ BEING THE DIFFERENCE the meidal fam ~ BEING THE DIFFERENCE the meidal fam ~ BEING THE DIFFERENCE

Mobile Photo Header

the meidal fam ~ BEING THE DIFFERENCE

Saturday, September 9, 2017

How Does I.T. Help Missions?

I had a series of revelations as I sat on a bus traveling south of Monterrey, Mexico in June of this year. The first was triggered as I tucked my phone into my pocket after briefly using it to take a photo of the passing scenery. Our mission team serving with Back2Back Ministries had been briefed earlier that day to be cautious in our use of technology. When I saw the glint in Roberto’s eyes, the young boy sitting next to me, after he had observed my mobile device I understood the reason why--it so quickly robs the bulk of our relationship-building opportunities by the “shiny object syndrome” it induces.
The first revelation I had was: technology can steal us from the present so easily, yet technology will be ubiquitous even for vulnerable, poor orphans in today's world. 
Roberto and I continued to converse in our broken dialog. I would try to string Spanish sentences together into concepts, and he would talk like a toddler so I would understand enough to ask another question.

The bus was on its return trip from a wildlife park where these fifteen orphan boys had just experienced the time of their lives. They had pet and observed exotic animals, played in a water park, and turned a lake into a battlefield with paddle boats.

I pulled out my phone again and opened my translation app which saved an awkward moment by providing me a Spanish word I had forgotten. While I had it out, I quickly pulled up our team's weekly schedule to remind me of the training and debriefing session we had that evening.
The second revelation I had was: none of this relational experience would be possible without planning, communication and transactions enabled through technology. 
Laughter rang through the bus, little games, songs and meaningful conversations all mixed together as each of my team members conversed at varying levels of Spanish proficiency. But the ice had been broken over the last few hours. The lack of vocabulary had been overcome by relational investment, mutual joy and cooperation in navigating through the afternoon of a safari ride, water park and robotic dinosaur exhibit in a jungle valley.

Roberto asked for my phone, so I switched it to the camera and let him take a picture. Of course, he took a few selfies within a matter of seconds. Then he slipped his yellow-beaded bracelet off his wrist and slipped it on my own. When we arrived at the curb outside the orphanage and the boys stood to disembark, Roberto stopped and asked if we could play fĂștbol tomorrow. As much as I wanted to say "yes, all day we'll play soccer together", I knew we had obligations of a construction project, worship gatherings, trainings and meal preparations which would take us away from constant ball playing.
The third revelation I had was: I recognized that to support deep and lasting change, a sustainable structure would be needed. 
Ironically, much of my time I spent at the orphanage over the next few days was in front of computers, walking around to network devices, and fixing bottlenecks which had slowed the operations. Although my passion was growing to see transformation in these orphaned boys over the coming years, I recognized the appropriateness and effectiveness of participation in the mission by exercising my tech gifts. Were I to move to Mexico I would likely still spend much of my time behind computers, helping keep the technology pipelines run efficiently for local ministries.

Later, that week I discussed with Back2Back staff their need for technology leadership, centered in the home office. I realized this requirement was a critical element in their strategy to stay healthy, scale, and fulfill their commitment to stand "back to back" with local ministry workers and orphans. This strengthened my resolve to pursue the role of IT Director for Back2Back Ministries.
A global missions organization cannot operate in today's world without I.T.--it links communication, strategies, financial systems.
Over the next month, I was blessed to meet with key leadership staff at Back2Back's office near Cincinnati and tour the facilities. The fact that many senior leaders had lived "on the field" and now were supporting the international staff through strategic initiatives enticed me. I heard from department leaders in finance, development, design and communications that IT leadership was required for them to serve the international sites, and ultimately deliver consistency, longevity and efficiency to the orphaned. I heard them state the necessity of efficient administration. Certainly previous rough spots which have slowed or halted ministry require improved standards and infrastructures to allow for front-line ministry.

Having served for the last twelve years in ministry, I recognize the necessity of efficient administration for the “work on the ground” to progress. I want to keep the wheels turning with Back2Back Ministries. This dedication is necessary especially now, because of the expansion and partnerships which are increasing, and the opportunities to address 163 million orphaned children around the world.


No comments: