The past few months,
I’ve been struck with how many conversations Jared and I have had with other families and friends in which we've heard these kinds of phrases:
“We’re
overwhelmed.”
“Things are just
crazy.”
“He’s working so
much; there’s just not much family time.”
“We want to get
out of the rat race!”
“We’re too busy. Its hurting our family and our health.”
Conversation after
conversation in which we've detected these themes: exhaustion, stress, lack of joy,
emotional instability. And the realm of church and ministry is not
immune to this epidemic! There is a cultural trend in our society today that pushes
toward productivity and busyness. And its an expensive trend, often
costing us our spiritual, mental, and physical health.
America is weary. Unprecedentedly weary. Weary of progressing in and
mastering so many areas of life, only to have found we have left the
soul in a cloud of dust. Society has embraced education, technology,
wealth, health, and information at the expense of the vital social,
emotional, and spiritual aspects of life. Is it any wonder our modern
culture is facing so much pain and so many problems?
Richard A. Swenson,
M.D. and author of the book, Margin, says “There is a psychic
instability in our day that prevents peace from implanting itself
very firmly in the human spirit.”
He also says, “Over
the last several decades, stresses, expectations, and pressures have
increased, while social and emotional support systems have decreased.
It is little wonder, then, that stress disorders are experienced in
nearly every household.” And this was written in 1992!
What do we do with
this? What is the answer to this deep ache that affects every single
area of our lives?
The answer to the
root of many of these problems is soul wellness. God has created
human beings with a hole in our souls that can only be satisfied by
Him. He is the answer! Many of us know this with our heads, but do
our lives show that we believe it with our hearts? Are we willing to
do what it takes to live what we believe?
If we don’t have
the space and time to nurture our souls and fill them with what they
long for, then breakdowns happen. Jared and I face this struggle in
ministry, sometimes even more so because it seems there is so much
good that needs done. But if we are achieving much without abiding,
the fruit is temporary, shallow, and leaves us exhausted and empty.
Like trying to run a marathon when your only fuel has been a cup of
coffee. It will keep you going for a little while, but you’ll soon
crash and burn! You need real fuel to endure through those grueling
miles and finish the race well.
Our souls need real
fuel, too. And caring for the soul does not just happen. We have to
fight for it. Its obvious that society is not going to help us in
these matters—if not stopped, it will only continue on a trajectory
that will lead to its own destruction. (In fact, the Bible tells us
that this indeed is going to happen!) Because of this,
nurturing our souls is counter-cultural, seeming to others (and often
even to ourselves) as being counter-productive. In reality, its the
very best thing we could ever do for ourselves and others.
It is exciting to
live and work at a place whose mission “Transforming Communities
Together” is only achieved by getting people out of the rat race
for a few days and giving them space and time to nurture their inner
lives and their relationships. True community transformation can
only happen when we admit that we ourselves need transformation. I
need it. You need it. We have a problem that only a God greater than
all our problems can solve. Every weekend and often during the week,
hundreds of guests experience this reality at The Oaks. Our campers
experience this at our family camps, winter camps, and summer camps.
And hundreds of pastors experience this each year as they take time away from
their busy lives to rest and reflect at our Pastor’s Retreat
facility. And they drive away from this mountain with a renewed
perspective.
Here’s some beautifully scribed feedback from one pastor that comes up to The Oaks regularly:
The Pastor’s Retreat at the Oaks has a place in my heart and memories like no other place on the planet. This is the locale where I come to be with God. This is the one spot on the planet that being His highly favored son suffices. The Oaks isn’t about productivity. It’s about presence. Being available to the Creator does much-needed re-creative things in me unique to this place. I’ve retreated to this sanctuary at least 26 times over the last 12 years. It is in this holy place that God has said to me with the gentleness of a humming bird and the clarity of thunder that I’m okay. The brokenness of my childhood does not ruin me. It, in fact, enhances who I am. It is here that I first began to believe that He loves me as I am not as I should be, because I will never be who I should be. This has been the place where I have quietly and deeply considered decisions, paths and ministry opportunities. This has been the place where my soul comes out of hiding due to the fatigue and wounds of life in order to receive the much needed, but often neglected care from the Caring One. This has been the place bringing spiritual and emotional alignment – putting me back in right order – so that I can live my life effectively down the hill.And another pastor wrote this in an email thanking our staff for the use of our facilities:
In reflecting on this past year, I noticed the words 'stressed, angry, frustrated, overwhelmed' coming up again and again. We had been through an unusually busy season with staff transitions, a tragic suicide, and difficult conflicts. I realized I had taken very little time to stop and check in with my own soul as I was trying to serve others. When I came to The Oaks in September, I was able to get a new perspective and be refreshed. Now, in December, I came back and that sense of peace and comfort has remained. These retreats have made a huge impact in my life and ministry. I am able to outline sermons for the upcoming months and read and pray deeply in ways that just don't happen when I'm dealing with the demands of daily ministry.
Romans 13:11-12 (The Message) says, But
make sure that you don’t get so absorbed and exhausted in taking
care of all your day-by-day obligations that you lose track of the
time and doze off, oblivious to God. The night is about over, dawn is
about to break. Be up and awake to what God is doing!”
Christmas is about
Jesus, coming to save us from our weariness. Into the darkness of
this world, into the darkness of our hearts...a light has shined! He
came to bring life to our weary lives. Not just a life that
survives, but a life that thrives! He came to fill our hungry souls
with his unending, all-satisfying love and goodness. He came to take
our focus off our doings and tryings, and to fix our eyes on Himself,
the Savior!
But we have to make
space for him. We have to sweep away some things—even good, noble,
wonderful things—to make room for the best thing. When we
make room for Him in our lives, he will infuse meaning and purpose
into everything we do. He will show us how to choose the best
over the good. He will not
leave us stressed out and overwhelmed! And He will fill the dark,
tired places of our life with the best gift: Himself!
My desire is to unwrap this gift and let it replace the weariness of my soul with joy and peace--not just during this busy holiday season, but every single day. And I'm thankful that The Oaks continues to be a place of rest for weary souls, where Jesus is found and the gift of His love is embraced!

2 comments:
Well written, Kim. I have 2 daughters in law who are gifted writers. Heard your heart and your mind. Prayers for peace and assurance that all is well.
Grant
Thank you Kim. <3
Post a Comment