"The process or a period of changing from one state or condition to another."
It's the perfect word to describe the ministry and community of The Oaks right now. Change. Lots of change. Change can be scary. But as I've been thinking about the adjustments and shifts happening here at camp, it brought to mind other life changes and the exciting growth that can result when we embrace change with a thankful, hopeful spirit--with full confidence that we will look back someday and be in awe, not at what we have done, but what God has done in us to bring transformation.
Take, for example, motherhood. I remember when I was pregnant with our first son almost eight years ago. I had never been a mom before. I remember countless people telling me, "Just wait. Everything is going to change." Because I was very aware there was a live human inside my body that was eventually going to have to come out (and knowing that I was going to be responsible for every part of his livelihood), I kind of already knew everything was going to change. But I didn't know how everything was going to change until I went through the life experience of becoming a mother.
Eight years later I can say that yes--everything has changed. I think differently now. I love differently now (hopefully better). I rely on God now more than ever to use my strengths and weaknesses for His glory. I am so much more aware that there are many things in life that I have absolutely no control of...and I'm actually learning to be okay with that.
Motherhood is a transition. I am still the same person I was eight years ago; but I am also completely different because loving little people who can be hard to love is challenging...and with challenge often comes growth. I haven't changed my identity, but I have grown into my identity in a way that could not have happened without the changes and struggles that come with motherhood. God has used this season of life to teach me more about who I really am.
We believe God is using this season of change at The Oaks to strengthen the ministry's identity and to help us grow into who God wants us to be as a camp.
Our camp director just retired after 25 years. He came here when The Oaks' property was just a dust bowl with a few rickety cabins. He led the camp through the transition of going from a tiny camp with a few bunks to a large camp with impressive facilities and almost four hundred beds. His servant leadership set an example for all of us to walk in. His impact on this place has been huge, but his season of leading has come to a close.
We now have a new (awesome) director. And Jared is taking the role of an assistant director. Big changes are happening here at camp. Change can be scary because it sometimes hurts. But just as adjustments are required to give birth and nurture a little human, we believe these adjustments are going to give birth to newness of life and a beautiful future for The Oaks. A future of better serving the urban communities we love. A future of using the property and beautiful facilities God has given us to bless more people in the best way that we can.
Our mission remains the same:
Changing lives.
Impacting communities.
Pursuing God's heart for the poor.
And our God will be faithful to complete the work he began here at The Oaks thirty years ago.
"See, I am doing a new thing!"
(Isaiah 43:19)
________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________
In other camp and family news...
- Summer is over, and it was awesome! We served 344 urban campers during summer camp, and over 4,000 guests total between June and August.
- Four of our summer staff are back at The Oaks serving in one-year internships.
- We need rain! Our camp wells are struggling to keep up with our water usage. Our local lakes are completely dry.
- Joey broke his arm twice in the same spot since July. He's been in a cast for a looooong time. But good news: he's getting really good at using his left hand for everything! Please pray for complete healing and no more accidents!
- Joey is in kindergarten and Micah is in first grade! We love our (tiny) local public school and all the new friendships we are developing through it.
- Koleman turns two in December. He is a super-sweet, busy, ornery toddler and he always keeps us laughing.
1 comment:
Awesome that the Lord has filled that role and you now have an wonderful new Director. What so many have prayed for - and fantastic that Jared is Assistant director. What opportunity and privilege comes along with that job. As always we wish and pray for God's richest blessings for you all that serve at The Oaks, and for each life you bring impact into for the Kingdom. Crystal and Blane Rings
Post a Comment